The Women’s District of Columbia Golf Association was created at a meeting held in March 1924, by a group of women who decided they would like to “paddle their own canoe”. The idea to break away from the Men’s Association was first conceived in June 1923, but actually making the break did not occur until 1924. The first clubs were Chevy Chase (home of the first president, Mrs. Charles L. Frailey), Columbia, Indian Spring, Bannockburn and Washington Golf & Country Club. By the end of the 1920’s the group included Argyle, Army War College (Army Navy Marine Corps Country Club), Beaver Dam (Woodmore), Belle Haven, Congressional, Kenwood, Manor, Town and Country (Woodmont), and two nine hole courses, Kirkside and Harper. The first tournament under the auspices of the new group was held on April 28 1924, at the Chevy Chase course. It was “most successful” with 25 entrants participating and a large majority of the WDCGA clubs being represented. Competition was 18 holes, match play against par, with handicap allowance. Par being 88, the first prize was won by Mrs. H. A Knox from Indian Spring, whose medal score of 97 was the lowest and with a handicap of 10 she was 1 up on par.
~ Alice Moore, Historian
WDCGA History Book
A compendium of information about the Women’s District of Columbia Golf Association organized in one easily referenced site. Source material comes from reams of historical information that has been passed down through the years from president to president. Special thanks goes to past Presidents Maggie Brady (2007-2009) and Cathy Reusche (2010-2011) who edited, organized and digitized multiple sources of historical records to create the WDCGA History Book.